Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Thanksgiving Message


“Your faith has made you well.” Jesus does not make a big deal out of the healing of these ten men. What he does seem concerned about is the men’s response to their healing. Only one man comes back to give thanks to Jesus. A man who is a foreigner and loathed by the Jewish people is the only one to come back to Jesus, a Jew, and thank him for healing him of leprosy. And the way he expresses his thanks!

This man does not shake Jesus’ hand in a dignified way like you often see two men do. The Samaritan did not come walking up with his head down and mumble his appreciation half-heartedly. He came back, praising God in a loud voice and then he THREW himself at Jesus’ feet. These are the actions of a man full of praise for the one who has healed him of his affliction. He not only praises God, he throws his whole body, his whole being into giving thanks for the one who has delivered him from this awful torment.

Jesus looks down at this man at his feet. Does he feel amazement that only one returned? Is he angry, confused, or saddened? We do not know because the author does not tell us Jesus’ emotions as he says the words “Were not all ten cleansed? Where are the other nine? Has no one returned to give praise to God except this foreigner?”.  We do not know what Jesus felt, but we know how he responded to the thanksgiving and praise of the Samaritan, “Your faith has made you well.”

Jesus is not speaking of the man’s leprosy because that affliction had already been healed. No, Jesus was telling the Samaritan that his actions, the way he turned toward Jesus and gave thanks to God, had made him well in mind and soul, as well as body.

His action of turning around – It is often the way we describe repentance. We turn our backs on our sinful life and accept Jesus as our Lord. It is the movement of our whole person, initiated by God’s graceful work, a redirection toward God. “Your faith made you well.” This outcast, this hated foreigner has become a member of Jesus Christ’s family by turning away from his old ways and turning instead toward the Lord.

Salvation and healing are intertwined just as a life of faith must include thanksgiving to God. God’s work makes a human being whole, makes them sound in every way and reconciled to God and people. The Samaritan’s actions of throwing himself at Jesus’ feet and giving thanks, demonstrates a completeness of faith because it includes thankfulness. It is not dutiful obedience that has made this man fall to Jesus’ feet in thankful praise, but it is because it feels like the right response to what Jesus has done for him.

A couple of years ago I was visiting an elderly woman in a nursing home. Most days this woman was a joy to visit because of her cheerful disposition.  She told me at times that the only thing that ever made her sad was how little her family came to visit, especially her niece who only lived a few miles away. I always commiserated with her and we would pray about it. So this day I came to see her, I expected the same cheerful woman I always saw. But today every word I said to her seemed to bring her to tears and every time I would ask about her friends and family she would put her head down and say nothing at all.

I knew something was really wrong. Finally, she confessed that her family had not called, written, or been by in months. This was the longest they had ever been neglectful and now the holidays were approaching. Holidays are dreadfully lonely for people in nursing homes with no family. And here was this wonderful woman who had a family, but still sat alone.

She told me she wanted to be happy again. She wanted to let go of this sadness. She asked me what she could do to change the way she felt. At first, I began to offer advice on how to get them to visit. I suggested writing a card saying, “I miss you, it’s been awhile.” And things like that. Then I realized that this would not change how she felt in the least, especially if it did not work.

Finally, the Holy Spirit must have whispered loudly in my ear because all of a sudden I heard myself say, “Maggie, you must give thanks!” She looked at me oddly and I said again, “We will give thanks for what you DO have and it will help you. Go on, give thanks!”

She began with, “Well, I suppose I’m grateful to be alive… even though my knees give me such terrible pain. And I’m grateful for the people that do visit.. even if it isn’t my family. And I’m grateful for the money my nephew sends.. even though I’d prefer he come here to give it to me in person.” Then she paused and I had to laugh. She thought she was giving praise, but she was putting conditions on her thanksgiving. This was not anything like what the Samaritan with leprosy had done! So I urged her to begin again with real joys in her heart. What brought a smile to her face even when she was blue?

That’s when she finally said, “I thank God for the 60 years with my husband. He was my rock. I’m grateful for my children who never once got into trouble. I’m grateful for all the people who helped my husband build our home and I’m grateful for the people that take care of me here. I’m grateful for the birds in spring that sit at my window and for the cat that comes to cuddle with me in the winter.”

After saying all of that, Maggie smiled. Her heart had lightened when she realized how much she truly did have to be grateful for. Her faith was restored; her mind renewed because she realized that the only way to stay faithful and happy was to give thanks.

It’s such a simple thing – saying thank you. But we never do it enough. This Thanksgiving I hope that you will give thanks for all the blessings God has given to you. Remember that a life of faith is lived through a life of constant thanksgiving.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment