Saturday, August 22, 2009

Healthy People, Healthy Checkbook Balance

Okay so I just got to thinking about health insurance and the problem the United States seems to find in insuring 40 million people and how another 30 million are under insured.

I am in the first category because I am going to school and just don't have the money to afford over a hundred dollars a month on insurance plus it would be shit coverage so I'd pay for most of my doctor's visits and most of my perscription anyway. So I have chosen to forsake it until I get a job that pays well. And today I needed insurance because I have an ear infection that needs antibiotics.

Like every other person I know what Obama is proposing and I know how everyone is waffling because they don't want socialized medicine. However, I don't think it should ever even come down to socialization anyway. I just read some jackass's analysis of healthcare and it said and I quote: "Competition Lacking Among Private Health Insurers". Um forgive me but DUUUUH! Why in the holy HELL do you think there are so many people uninsured?! I didn't need their brilliant analysis however it did get me to thinking.

Capitalism is supposed to be so great because it allows anyone to step in and fill a need that is not being met and make money. Right? So there are forty MILLION people that would jump at affordable health insurance. There's a market out there to also hit up another thirty million people that are underinsured. So what's the problem? Why has no one decided to step up and fill in the need?

I understand that insurance is an expensive business and when you're actually trying not to be fair and reasonable it can be risky. Until you consider the fact that you have a forty million pool to fish from to make your money. Think of this, $1.00 of profit x 40 million clients = $40 million in your bank account. It makes me wish I had some money to start up an insurance business!! Does no one else see this? What is so hard to understand about it and why doesn't forty million (let's be honest it'd probably be a couple hundred million) sound good to someone, good enough that they would remember the poor people and make insurance coverage for them as well?

This country has gone to hell in a handbasket. I'm rather ashamed of our cynical outlook and ME! ME! ME! attitude. But even with that sort of personality, there's a huge market of people you could help and also help your bank account.

No comments:

Post a Comment